• At least four years’ reporting experience.
• Demonstrated experience in reporting on health issues, including peer-reviewed studies and public health initiatives.
• Demonstrated excellence in news judgment
• Demonstrated ability to cover a variety of cultures
• Familiarity with NPR's programs, website and other online outlets
• Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under tight deadlines and changing priorities/conditions.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• Cultivate and promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace.
• Cultivate and support an inclusive and equitable workplace culture.
• Experience reporting for radio preferred.
• Familiarity with public media appreciated.
• Experience reporting on climate change, especially its impact on human health.
NPR is looking for a reporter who can deliver smart, fact-based coverage on the impact of a warming climate on human health. This position will inform people on the various ways that rising temperatures, changing rainfall patterns and drought, as well as more severe storms are affecting people’s physical and mental health. This reporter will help us to connect the dots to understand how even less obvious climate changes can impact human health, especially for those who cannot afford to mitigate its impact.
The Climate and Health Reporter understands climate science and policy and has a track record of accountability reporting, as well as experience telling human centered stories. You will be a key member of a growing climate desk, willing to collaborate, initiate and take direction. This is a dynamic job that also offers the space to do original reporting that makes a difference.
The Climate and Health Reporter is a one-year, grant-funded position based in Washington DC. Remote work considered. This position will report to the Deputy Climate Editor.
Help us spread the word and invite your friends to join the community! Simply enter their email address below and we’ll send them an invitation to join the Hub. You can enter multiple email addresses by separating them with a comma.
Thank you for helping us grow and strengthen our community!
Complete the form below, and we will be in touch shortly.